Thursday, June 15, 2017

Ward Creek to Tahoe City


Although I am trying to keep selfies out of these posts I feel compelled to show one from my hike just so you see who I am.

I get a late start at 10:40.
The trail climbs and shortly merges into an old closed road.
Quickly it climbs enough I can view where the Tahoe Rim Trail would go if I had hiked south instead of north.

After a half mile I come to an old trail junction which is now just a bend with mileage signs
The trail goes west for almost a half mile.
The trail bends north for a short time and first snow is along the trail.  At this point the trail can be clearly seen on both sides of snow patches so it is not a problem.
The trail goes east along what should be the edge of paige meadows but is now clearly a lake.  The snow almost becomes too much but then the trail fortunately heads out in the open via a submerged causeway.

In the middle of the lake is an unsigned trail junction the TRT continuing straight ahead.
The trail leaves the lake with a creek flowing down the trail into it.  It is at this time I look down at my boots and notice I forgot to put my Wolverine boot socks on.  In their place are my regular crew socks.  Owell I'm not going back for them now!


Eventually the trail leaves the plateau and goes down a creek canyon after passing two more trail junctions with unmarked trails.
Although I can never get a clear enough view from the trail to take a picture I pass a giant complex of tree houses with swinging bridges, a zip line and climbing rungs that are part of the Granlibakken Resort.  Very shortly after this I get a first glimpse of the Truckee River.
Now in the home stretch the trail merges with a paved bicycle trail near the 64 Acres Riverside Day Use Area.
I end my hike at the north end of the concrete bicycle bridge.
Before returning I get a chance I don't usually do in the middle of a hike - I walk 0.15 mile to Bridgetender,  a bar and restaurant and enjoy a pulled pork sandwich and french fries.  Not wanting to risk a picture inside the popular restaurant I take a picture outside (they were paving the parking lot when I was there)


I hope to get the rest of these hikes I did by the end of Saturday (have 170 pictures to sift through).

TRT Trail Miles Complete: 5.1
TRT percentage: 3.1%

A parting shot of Paige Meadows (lake)









No comments:

Post a Comment